Welcome to St Andrew's Parish website.

 

We are the Catholic church on Bute in the Diocese of Argyll & the Isles.
We extend a welcome to our online visitors and we hope you will join us, sometime, in the flesh!

 

 

St Andrew’s Parish is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Argyll & the Isles.  Our bishop is based at our Cathedral, St Columba’s, in Oban.  Our parish priest is Fr Michael Hutson.

 

There are probably around 1800 Catholics living on Bute, of whom some 220 join us for Sunday Mass (at 6pm Saturday Vigil or 11am Sunday morning). Our parishioners are from Scottish, Irish, English, Polish, American, Spanish, Slovakian, Maltese, South African, Welsh and Italian backgrounds.

 

We are very proud of our Primary School – also St Andrew’s.Our parish participates in local ecumenical initiatives.There is another consecrated Catholic church on Bute – the Marble Chapel at Mount Stuart.

 

 

St Andrew’s Church was designed by Reginald Fairley, who also designed St Mary’s in Fort William, St Margaret’s in Roybridge and the National Library in Edinburgh.The church was completed in 1925 and was funded largely by the Marquis of Bute, who asked that it be built in a Byzantine Basilica style.

 

The church stands on the site of the previous church, built in 1867, which had replaced the first post-reformation Catholic church on Bute at Port Bannantyne. The present St Andrew’s is built of concrete blocks, faced with crushed red sandstone.  The church holds 500 people.

 

 

 

 

 

St Andrew’s Parish is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Argyll & the Isles.  Our bishop is based at our Cathedral, St Columba’s, in Oban.  Our parish priest is Fr Michael Hutson.

 

There are probably around 1800 Catholics living on Bute, of whom some 220 join us for Sunday Mass (at 6pm Saturday Vigil or 11am Sunday morning). Our parishioners are from Scottish, Irish, English, Polish, American, Spanish, Slovakian, Maltese, South African, Welsh and Italian backgrounds.

 

We are very proud of our Primary School – also St Andrew’s.Our parish participates in local ecumenical initiatives.There is another consecrated Catholic church on Bute – the Marble Chapel at Mount Stuart.

 

 

St Andrew’s Church was designed by Reginald Fairley, who also designed St Mary’s in Fort William, St Margaret’s in Roybridge and the National Library in Edinburgh.The church was completed in 1925 and was funded largely by the Marquis of Bute, who asked that it be built in a Byzantine Basilica style.

 

The church stands on the site of the previous church, built in 1867, which had replaced the first post-reformation Catholic church on Bute at Port Bannantyne. The present St Andrew’s is built of concrete blocks, faced with crushed red sandstone.  The church holds 500 people.

Copyright © 2017 St. Andrew's Parish, Rothesay - All Rights Reserved